Monday 10 December 2012

Memory!


She used to invite me with her most beautiful smile. And she never missed to give me my favorite “Little biscuits” whenever I visited her home. We stayed in the same colony.

Every year I used to go to her place to invite her for Varalakshmi Pooja at home. She would immediately tell me “Dress up well, little girl, I will come to see you”. She was a happy lady. I have never seen her complaining about life or her troubles. She used walk around the ground slowly when we kids used to play around. She always greeted with her wonderful smile.

Slowly I noticed that she was becoming thinner day by day. I could not find her coming out to the extent she used to come. All my family told me was she was sick. I remember the day when I visited her with my mom and Aunty. She was lying in bed weak. But she was still talking in the same manner she used to do as ever. She never complained about the pain she was going through nor she was bitter about her suffering. In fact she even remembered to ask me whether I still eat those “little biscuits”.

Now when I think about it I could never believe that wonderful lady was actually suffering from a deadly disease and I actually saw her in her death bed.

Few days later we got the news that she is no longer there. And she passed away after suffering from cancer.

Rabindranath Tagore said, “Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come”. Or to quote the lines of Bhagavath Gita “For certain is death for the born and certain is birth for the dead;” But death could have been peaceful right? I am not here to discuss about the karma
theory.

I got a mail this morning from a friend of mine saying it’s world cancer week and about cancer awareness. And I was reminded of the first ever time the deadly painful disease called cancer took away a lovely lady I knew.

The one who taught me, that it’s not your circumstance which determines your happiness. It solely depends on what you think.

She is still alive in our memories.

I pray to God that one day the word “Cancer” would be nothing more than just a sun sign.

6 comments:

  1. beautifully written, sensitive, expressive. love the closing line "I pray that cancer would be nothing more than just a sun sign". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one. Even if we do not want to discuss Karma here. The fact is IT IS. Some souls bear it for their deeds, some souls take the burden of others and go through the pain (eg Ramakrisna, Ramana), some souls willfully ask for it so that their cycle gets over.

    I was discussing with one Siddha Doctor yesterday (14/9). He was talking about his guru who still lives a very modest life without any attraction towards material objects.

    He was mentioning that his guru would meditate for some time before treating anyone. Some cases he would accept to treat, for some he would not irrespective of the money part. When asked he has told, I am not supposed to intervene in the causal cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nemesis catches up. No doubt. I did not bring that topic of karma theory in this post specifically. Thought it would not be nice on my part to mention it in this context. It would be lack of empathy to tell a sick person that he suffering due to his karma. Though no one is or can intervene the casual cycle it does not stop us from giving empathy.

      After all by hurting and counting others karma aren't we ignoring ours! According to me leave it to God to decide the karma accounts. From our part we can give empathy to anyone who is suffering without analyzing their karma. And we can wish and pray for their well being.

      Thanks for your comments. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete